Tuesday, August 03, 2004

The Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

Over the Last Nine Months, I have been meditating on a prayer that St. Francis of Assisi often prayed. As I think on its words, my heart is likened to prayer, prayer that God would use me more and more to be His instrument of Peace. Here is the prayer he often said:

"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred... let me sow love.
Where there is injury... pardon
Where there is discord... unity
Where there is doubt... faith
Where there is error... truth
Where there is despair... hope
Where there is sadness... joy
Where there is darkness... light.

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled... As to console
To be understood... As to understand
To be loved... As to love

For it is in giving... that we receive
It is in pardoning... that we are pardoned
It is in dying... that we are born to eternal life."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home