Monday, January 24, 2005

MY PAST WEEK!!!

To give you every detail of my week...would take days, but I did want to give you all some highlights!!! Last weekend, I moved into my very own apartment!! It's still a studio, however, it is all my own. I know...who would want to live alone. But, actually, having my own place is very therapeutic. There are so many things that I am doing with people...that it is nice to have a place where no one is, but me.....unless of course, I have others over....which I do! And it is such a blessing.....I even have furniture!!! The day I moved even began with a trip down to San Diego. A man living down there, offered his furniture to our team, so we got 1 couch, 2 futons, a love seat, 3 end tables, some lamps, a table, a dresser, etc. all for a reasonable price. So, 2.5 hours down, renting a truck, loading the truck, and 2.5 hours back!....a 10 hour trip. And I believe it was more than worth it! Our team has been praying for furniture for the last 3 months and then "out of the blue", this man wants to bless us with more than what we even asked for....so much more that we were even able to bless some of our neighbors. One of my good friends and her husband were really in need of a bed for their kids. Because of the tight space (a studio apartment) they really didn't have much room. We were able to give her one of the futons. During the day they have the room to move around because the futon can act as a couch and then during the evening, the kids have more than enough room to sleep comfortably when they pull it down. It was a joy to be able to bless a family that so often blesses me with their presence and friendship!
Along the rest of the week, aside from work, I had a friend tell me that she might be deported. This was a scary thing for me. I didn't want to loose someone so close to me, especially to a place that might not be the safest. Immediately, I searched the internet for information on how to help her.
My friend moved here as a refugee from El Salvador when she was five. I'm not sure if any of you have every heard of the war in El Salvador, but it was a very intense situation. My friend has memories of people being skinned alive. Other have to me stories of Guerilla warriors that came into villages...simply line up all the men or women and just shoot them. Kids would watch as their parents were killed. When my friend's family came, they were offered asylum and have been living here for the last 17 years with no problems. Apparently, in July, when she was suppose to receive her annual work permit...instead came letters that she would soon be receiving it. In September, she received a letter saying that she would need to come in for finger prints and still no permit. While having her prints taken--they told her that instead of receiving the permit she would be sent on an "interview", regarding her status. When her mom and her showed up they were presented with a form stating that they had never filled out the proper paper work, in 1998, to continue living in this country. However, the two of them have no recollection of ever receiving the paper work. Which doesn't surprise me, being that it took the government, 5 months of not issuing their work permits to finally tell them why they weren't issuing the permits. Everything is so backed up in government offices because they don't have a high enough labor force, that it is quite possible....it was never sent!
My roommate and I spent the week contacting as many people as possible to help them out. And in the end, though not through any of our endeavors, the two were able to get a lawyer. We are thankful they have someone to defend their case and thankful he was able to fill out the proper paper work, increasing their chances of staying. But please pray over this entire situation--that the judge would be in their favor. There is still a chance, she might deported.
This whole situation has caused me to think a lot where it is God is leading me. I thought about the Law. And I thought about the many ways I could have helped my friend had I had my law degree! I see crazy things every day and I watch as the injustice in the World hurts people I care for deeply. And I think to myself...it just isn't fare. And I ask God...Why? And as He answers me, I am overwhelmed with the Brokenness of this World. A World, that out of its brokenness, tries to function...tries to find their own logical answers. Answers that often feed only unconscious selfish needs. And at the same time...I am, also, overwhelmed with the unabounding love God has for every person in this world, every person in their brokenness. I feel His longing for Truth to scream out louder than anything else and His desire for healing and wholeness in each of us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow futons furniture store

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home